St Pius School, Banyo began in 1947 due to the efforts of Father Vincent Carroll and the Sisters of St Joseph who accepted his invitation to open a school. This began St Pius School's relationship with the Josephite Sisters, and the charism of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop which influences our school.
Here is an extract from the 50th Jubilee book which tells about the very beginning St Pius School:
"For many years the children of this area were given a Catholic education in the school attached to St Vincent's Orphanage. The majority of the children who were enrolled in St Pius School in 1947 were students who had been receiving their education previously at St Joseph's School, Nundah. This meant a train journey for most. It is hard to imagine year one students going to school by train, when children today are ferried to and from school usually by car even for a relatively short distance. It certainly shows a change in the feeling of safety for society today.
Father Vincent Carroll saw the need for a Parish school, and so asked the Sisters of St Joseph to open a school here. He went ahead with the new building, but it was not complete for the proposed opening in 1947. This however did not stop the school from ‘opening’, the school accepted students and classes began in February of that year. This was managed by using the presbytery as a school. It was to Father Carroll’s credit that this was allowed. The total enrolments for 1947 were 178, this was quite a significant opening enrolment.
Here is what one of the Sisters who taught in those conditions had to say:
“As the school building was not ready in time for the opening of the school year, for the first few weeks the Sisters taught at the presbytery. Scholarship (now Grade 7) was taught on the front and side verandahs; middle grades, infants and music, taught under the house, but, as this became too frustrating the piano was moved upstairs near the kitchen!”
The new school was officially opened by His Grace, Archbishop J Duhig D.D. on 16 March 1947. The original staff was Sisters Owen, Marie des Agnes, Juan, Marguerite, and a postulant Sister Martin. The ‘postie’ was replaced later in 1947 by Sister Bernice. The Sisters came from Nundah and each day were driven to and from school by Father Carroll.
The convent for the Sisters at Banyo was built under Father Carroll’s direction, and was blessed and opened on 8th August, 1947.
A bus was bought to bring pupils to school and people to Sunday Mass. Yet another great effort by Father Carroll. It too was housed ‘under the presbytery’.”